Nocturnos (Nocturnal views / Night-owls)

Digital photographs, Buenos Aires, 2007-2009



Presented at Club Cultural Matienzo, Bs As., May 2 to 29, 2009.

nocturnos

i. a text for the exhibition, after the opening
martu wants me to change the music – his sms ends with "and tell the dj to change that shitty music" - alan tells me don't pay attention to him, he's so fanciful - but alan hasn't brought his mom's laptop, the one he was going to use to play music on the first floor, where the photos are ("slow motion dancing", told me by phone, he's such a chris isaak fan, he always pretends to close his eyes and yell wicked games, "but it's just a joke, I just want to play the last yeah yeah yeahs' album") - i tell mati that there is no music other than the one on the ground floor because alan never fulfills his promises - anyway, when he tells me not to pay attention to him, I nod and smile like a baby - I wanted to find an ipod or something and play some music anyway, it's not that it worries me, it's just that I wanted him to be happy, fulfill his expectations - as soon as I say that, I doubt if my altruism is really sincere - after all, it's my opening and I want to be loved - But I've already found out that the only thing you can do is to be kind and generous – i leave doubts, reproaches, what could have been but it wasn't*, all those affection impurities, to the photos - I go up and look at them again

ii. *notes for a following stage
I look at them and it seems to me that I have to keep doing it - I want everything that may be, that may have been, that next time may be, that everyone is always expecting things to turn out and sometimes make it happen - the fiction of a generation not without the swinging, the excitement and boredom of the real one, but another one - not linear - possible - not different but literary, open
-
next stage is for beauty - the distance i wanted at first has to come in the end, at the back of the picture, when I love them and know them as children and they leave

iii. a chat with juan, between question marks}
the postcrisis generation – poscromagnon – south america reemerges – the progressive, moderate – capusoto on state tv – street art at design college - parties instead of discos - la bomba del tiempo, the bubamara party - evolution of electronica, funk that we never knew, local and sociable and progressive and happy music, that tiribal-balcanic-african-latin hybrid, manu chao chic, onda vaga, lisandro aristimuño - marihuana light - the generation that has more access to information but does not want to be wise - the one with universities in decay - the less professional - the work&travel generation, the europe via taglit generation, the peruvian holidays generation - more indie, less under - less confrontational, more visible - more expectants, doing without conciousness, seeing ourselves as too passive - more joyful, less revulsive - less absolutes, less significants, but not superficials - relaxed but not stupid - transition? sensitives? it's just my friends?

iv. Nocturnos are direct-shot, digital photographs taken from 2007 to 2009, mainly in buenos aires.

agustín jais